tony moly backstage gel eyeliner in black

i was browsing through my instagram when i stumbled upon a beauty account, and the owner had this video of her makeup routine. and i liked it. it's quite simple, and then i browsed her account. turned out she had this thing for cat eye. and suddenly i got the urge to copy her makeup. i tried to draw cat eye using my nyx, but somehow, it was okay for one eye and the other one it's dried out. i had to put the cap back and wait for a couple minute before continuing. i thought it was time to toss my eyeliner. and the other end of my nyx is broken anyway, and my loreal navy gel eyeliner is coming to an end as well, so i decided to get a new eyeliner. i want to try bbia one, but i'm not sure... and somehow i stumbled upon this tony moly. i remembered i had one of these from revlon back in my makeup beginner days and i don't know how to use it. it dried before i had the chance to find out my mistake. i hesitated if this one will dry out soon too, but watching good review from beauty bible and another instagrammer, i decided to get this. in black, because it's only available in black.

this is the description from sokoglam: get a gorgeous line with this smooth, rich formula. brush applicator makes it perfect for precise puppy dog eye look or elegant cat eye. stays the day with a water-and sweat-resistant formula.
pic from koreannoona
the packaging: it's in a plastic bottle with a black plastic screw top, with a brush inserted in the handle. it's really similar to revlon's only the revlon one is smaller. and the brush from revlon can be inserted back to the handle so it's longer to hold. but from the tony moly you have to grip the small brush because it can't be inserted back to the handle, so perhaps you might need a separate brush if you have big hand or dislike smaller brush, but for me since i don't own any eyeliner brush, i have to make it work.

the color payoff: i got the black one, and the color is quite intensive. strong black. in one stroke.

the formula: oh well, the revlon one is dried easily, even when i tried it, it crumbled slightly. but this one is creamier. it's soft, and easy to load on the brush, and then it gives a smooth line. it glides smoothly on my skin, even on my eyelid.

the staying power: i have an oily lid. any other eyeliner will smudge my eyelid even before i could walk out of my door. but this one, since it's gel, i have to give a little time for it to dry, but then it will hold strong. no smudge on my eyelid. but today i use eye primer, and it make it hold even longer. until i get back to my home, it's still there. and today is very hot, and usually it will melt all my makeup. so i think it's smudge-proof, and probably waterproof too. so you have to use separate eye and lip makeup remover or oil cleanser.

the brush: okay, since i don't own any eyeliner brush, this one is enough for me. the bristle is soft enough and it doesn't hurt my eyelid. although i must agree that this brush can't exactly control the thickness of the lines it produce. but since i'm asian, with monolid, i don't necessarily need a very thin line.

overall, i'm quite satisfied with this eyeliner, and if i can get my hand on the other color, perhaps i would buy the navy or brown one. oh, have i mentioned that it's quite cheap too? if you're a beginner in eyeliner world and don't want to spend on expensive eyeliner, try this. perhaps pencil can't make a perfect cat eye and liquid eyeliner is hard to control for your trembling hands, then this one might work for you. it works for me.. and i'll be satisfied with it for now. and i don't think it's suitable for tight-lining. i will still use a pencil one for it.

oh and about my previous mistake.. you're supposed to clean the brush after each use so there's no product excess on the brush. which was my mistake. i didn't clean my brush with my revlon one, so probably that's why it crumbled on me. and i experienced it with this one when i forgot to clean it a couple of times. so make sure you clean your brush after each use.

the product bottle

left: name on the bottom of the bottle
right: brush attached to the handle

left: there's a white plastic cap to seal the eyeliner
right: swatch on my hand

0 Comments