wet n wild photofocus foundation in soft ivory

my sister is getting engaged this september, and i didn't plan on hiring a makeup artist to do my makeup as usual. i've been watching a lot of makeup tutorials on youtube. plus i bought and own a lot of makeup product (not a lot, but it's quite a lot for me who seldom use makeup) and i have to use it so i don't waste my money. plus i've bought eyelid tape and fake eyelashes from japan, so i have to say i'm quite determined to do this. but then i've just realised that my base makeup all comes in form of bb cushion, which is not so high coverage and too dewy for long lasting makeup, so i decided to read a lot of reviews.

there seems to be a lot of new launch for summer, and i've just realized that i've missed a lot. probably since i didn't use many makeup since i have kids back to back. i was concentrated on skincare more. so i didn't update myself on makeup launches. i was looking for something that has more coverage than my bb cushion, quite matte so it will last all day, but doesn't make me look like i'm wearing a mask. long story short, there are two foundations that interesting to me, wet n wild photofocus foundation and milani 2 in 1 foundation. unfortunately, there were many people complains that milani lack of lighter shade, so i was worried that i might fall into the fairer side. i decided to read more about wet n wild. and comparing too many swatches. although wet n wild offered a shade matching on their website, i don't think it's quite accurate. some other people complained about it too. i narrowed it down to several shades. i'm sure i'm not pale enough to be porcelain, but i think i'm somewhere between shell ivory, soft ivory and nude ivory. i was almost certain that i was soft ivory, but i was hesitating since findation website keeps matching me with shell ivory. then luckily, my nearest guardian stores have this foundation, but only 3 shades available. again, luckily, one of them is shell ivory. i swatched it on my hand and found it too pink for me, so i decided to buy soft ivory.

this is the description from their website: your skin, only better. our new high-performing, skin-perfecting foundation underwent major road testing under seven different photo lighting conditions to deliver flawless camera-ready makeup every time. specially made with a matte, light-diffusing complex to give your skin #nofilter perfection. high-performing, breakthrough formula. featuring light-adjusting complex to help prevent white cast in photos. tested under 7 light conditions with and without the use of flash.

the packaging: i bought it online and i received just the bottle. it's a glass bottle with black screw cap. there's a spatula wand attached to the cap. there's a description at the back of the bottle, with pictures to clearly pictures the claim of this foundation. it comes in regular 30 ml size. honestly, i don't like the packaging, it's made of glass so it's heavy and it doesn't have pump so i have to use both hand to get the product out. i usually put a bit product on the back of my hand and then use sponge to put it on my face. not practical for daily use. and lately, i've discovered that the glass might not be a see-through? so i honestly have no idea how i will know whether the product is running out.

the bottle
the scent: many blogger and youtuber complained the scent of wet paint, and i have to agree it does smell quite strong the first time i was using it. but then maybe i get used to it. some even said that it reminded them of revlon colorstay's scent, before it got reformulated. and i think i agree too.. somehow it makes me remember my old revlon foundation, perhaps it was my first or second foundation that i've tried.

the color: wohooo!! all those times watching tutorials and comparing all those swatches are paid off. i'm proud to announce that soft ivory is a match for me. if you're wondering, i usually use #21 in all my bb cushion but this one is lighter than my missha bb cushion. i have to say though, this is the first time that the foundation isn't too dark or too yellow for me, so yay!!!

left: the spatula
right: swatch on my arm
the product: this foundation is on the runnier side. i use the spatula to scoop some and put it on the back of my hand. when i lift my hand, the foundation will be sliding down the back of my hand. if i remember correctly, i think it has the same consistency as revlon, but runnier than my old max factor foundation. now, i've watched a lot of reviews, and some of them show the difference in coverage from using beauty blender and brush. if you used beauty blender, the coverage will be sheer, it will look natural on your skin. if you used brush, you will get at least medium coverage. since i don't have any foundation brush (i used it to apply my mask, so i won't use it again to apply my foundation), i use beauty blender and air puff. with air puff, it will give sheer coverage, but blendable. unfortunately, the air puff will absorb a lot of foundation. so it's not economical. with beauty blender, it also give natural finish, but buildable. i'm using ecotools sponge, and it does absorb some of the foundation, but not as much as the air puff.

left: before
middle: half face swatch
right: whole face with foundation
the coverage: they said it gives medium coverage. i say, it depends on the tool that you use to apply it. if you're using brush, then you will get medium coverage. but still you need concealer for dark circles and blemishes. if you're using beauty blender and air puff, you will get sheer to medium coverage. you can build it up before it dries completely, and it won't get cakey.

more close up on the coverage
notice that it covers my redness and the acne scar on my lower cheek
but it doesn't help much with my dark circles under eyes.
the result: it does give matte finish. actually, this is the first foundation that dries matte quickly. so you have to apply it quickly. that's why i like to put some on my hand before dabbing it on my face. that way, it doesn't dry out before i finish blending it. and it stays matte for about 4 to 5 hours. i have combination to oily skin, and my nose is the first part that usually become shiny, but using this foundation, my nose doesn't shine as much as usual. it doesn't get cakey even if i put more layers. but unfortunately, this one is slightly too matte that it clings onto dry patches. i have some dry patches on the side of my nose when i first tried it. and it accentuates the dry patches. this one also doesn't oxidise, which is quite rare for a foundation.

overall, i'm quite surprised by this foundation. this is the first foundation that completely matches my skin, and it stays matte for a decent time. i've been used to dewy finish from a bb cushion and this one is too matte for my taste. but it has the coverage that i need for special occasion. so i'm glad i purchase this. for you who has combination to oily skin, you might want to try this. as for dry skin, probably use a moisturizing primer before try this foundation. or stay away. as for the shade selection, i think it has a good range of selection of shades, from fair to deep. no matter what your skin tone, i think you can find one shade for you. or you can simply mix it to match your skin. from price point, it's quite affordable, so it won't hurt your wallet if you want to try it. as for me, i still curious of catrice hd liquid foundation, so perhaps i will try that one too. and then back to bb cushion. i like the practicality of bb cushion, and i don't need heavy coverage every day, so bb cushion is a good base for me.



0 Comments